A Bird Trap is a Survival Item used to catch the 3 flying birds: Red Birds, Crows, and Snowbirds. Traps can be baited with seeds to significantly increase the chance of catching a bird, though it is not a requirement. A Bird Trap is crafted using 3 Twigs and 4 Silk and requires a Science Machine to prototype. Using a Feather Hat will increase the number of birds landing to speed up the process.
Captured birds will become an inventory item and are currently the only way to place a bird in a Bird Cage.
It appears that there is a chance a trap will fail to catch a bird and simply break, leaving the bird that triggered the trap lying on the ground for a brief time before flying away. The failed trap can still be picked up and reset, but this still costs one durability use. It is currently unknown whether the chance of a trap failing is based on a certain probability, bird type, or player proximity.
- Following the Naughty and Nice update, Feathers and Morsels can no longer be acquired directly using the trap. Instead, murdering the bird while it is in the inventory is now necessary.
- In old science system, the Bird Trap used to cost 30 Research Points to craft.
- Sometimes birds will glitch out of traps after being caught.
- Sometimes the trap will disappear, but it will still show up on the map. The player can press space when near it to get it back.
- If the player places the traps with seeds, saves, and leaves the game, upon return there's a big chance two or three traps will have captured birds.
- In Shipwrecked DLC putting a Seed retrieved from the Ocean inside the Bird Trap may make it look it is still in the Ocean. Picking up the Bird Trap may cause the Seed to disappear.
- If you pick up the bird trap too fast (i.e. right as it catches the bird) you can receive the trap and the bait, but not the bird.