The Blow Dart is a craftable ranged weapon. When used, it will do 100 damage to its target. Each Blow Dart can be used only once. Blow Darts can be acquired by hunting down MacTusk or by crafting. It costs 2 Cut Reeds, 1 Hound's Tooth, and 1 Azure Feather to craft and requires a Science Machine to prototype.
It is useful when handling dangerous monsters, destroying Bee Hives, and in a pinch, cause fleeing mobs to become aggressive. The high damage of the darts allows players to easily kill them without risk.
- 2 shots can destroy a Bee Hive.
- 1-5 shots can kill normal mobs (including Guardian Pigs, MacTusk, Merms and Spiders)
- A shot will cause neutral mobs such as a Koalefant to attack the player
If a mob drops cookable food and is killed by the fire damage, the mob will drop cooked food instead (e.g. a rabbit would drop a cooked morsel). When fired at a Spider Den, the den will catch on fire and be destroyed without dropping any resources, and any spiders inside will leave the den.
Red Hounds and the Dragonfly are immune to all fire damage. In the Shipwrecked DLC, Dragoons, Elephant Cacti, and any mobs that live in the water are immune to being set on fire, but take the 5 points of damage from the Fire Dart.
The Sleep Dart is one of the six ranged Weapons in the game. When shot at a Mob, it causes the creature to fall asleep. If the player attacks it, the creature will wake up immediately. Some mobs have a resistance to sleep, requiring up to five darts to be put to sleep. Each Sleep Dart can be used only once.
Each Mob responds differently to Sleep Darts, and several shots may be required in order to put them to sleep.
The Poison Dart is a ranged weapon exclusive to the Shipwrecked DLC. It requires 2 Cut Reeds, a Venom Gland, and a Jet Feather to craft, and a Science Machine to prototype. It applies Poison debuff to the target on use, which slowly drains target's health, but it does not cause direct damage on hit. The poison does 2 damage every 10 seconds for 2 minutes, resulting in 26 damage total. Any food dropped by a Poisoned mob will be stale.
The Electric Dart is a ranged weapon exclusive to Don't Starve Together, introduced in the A New Reign DLC. It requires 2 Cut Reeds, a Gold Nugget, and a Saffron Feather to craft, and a Science Machine to prototype. The Electric Dart's base damage is 60, but since it is electrical, it gains a 1.5x modifier, allowing it to do 90 damage. Additionally, if the target the player is attacking is wet (has a Wetness prefix), There will be an additional 1x modifier for a total of 2.5x. This means that the Electric Dart can do either 90 or 150 damage (when used by characters with normal damage modifiers). Electric Darts, like the Morning Star, will electrify Volt Goats, making them useful for players seeking Electric Milk.
- The Sleep Dart was added in the The Birds and the Bees & Dogs That Want to Kill You update, the Fire Dart was added in the Long Live the Queen update, and the Blow Dart was added in the A Winter's Tale update.
- When used by MacTusk, the Blow Dart deals 33 damage, but it deals 100 damage when used by the player.
- In the old research system, the research cost was 100.
- Should the player die to a Volt Goat they electrified with Electric Dart, the cause of death might read "Shenanigans".
- When shooting a Blow Dart with certain hats and/or helmets equipped, Wilson's hair will temporarily glitch and "pop up" through them.
- Sometimes, when shooting darts with high wetness in Reign of Giants, one dart will slip out of grasp and the rest will disappear.
- Sometimes, especially when attacking a stationary target such as a spider den, the dart will not disappear after being shot and will instead hover about erratically near the target
- When dropped on the ground, the Electric Dart looks like a Fire Dart.