Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Eye Bone is an item that spawns Chester in Don't Starve. It is a naturally spawned item that is possible to find anywhere on the map, typically lying on the ground near a cobblestone road. In order to obtain the eyebone early on one must find a cobble stone road(different from a normal road); and follow it to a grassland biome surrounded by beehives and ponds. Note: There are cases where it is not found in the grassland biome. In this case it will spawn randomly near the player in a swamp biome.
Once spawned, Chester will continue to follow the player as long as the Eye Bone is in their inventory. The Eye Bone can be dropped on the ground or placed inside Chester to make him stop following the player.
At night or in the ruins, Chester will sleep until enough distance separates him and the Eye Bone. If Chester is killed, he will drop all stored items, and the Eye Bone will no longer open its eye. (it remains closed). The eyelid will reopen after Chester respawns in one day.
Splumonkeys will not steal the Eye Bone and Eyeplants will not eat it. Krampus can only steal the Eye Bone if it is in a Backpack. The Eye Bone cannot be teleported with the player via Wooden Thing (it will turn to Ashes upon arrival to the next world).
In the Shipwrecked DLC, the Eye Bone can be brought from a base game world or Reign of Giants world to a Shipwrecked world using Seaworthy. The original Chester along with the items inside will not follow the player to the new world, instead, another Chester will spawn there.
- Chester and the Eye Bone were added in the Spoiled Rotten update.
- An Eye Bone spawned via Console will only spawn Chester one time.
- It is possible to get multiple functioning Chesters with the console, first by spawning a Chester without the Eye Bone (he will run away instead of follow if the player gets close), then using the console to get another Eye Bone. This will cause the skittish Chester to connect to that particular Eye Bone and begin following it as normal.
- It is possible that Chester is an allusion to The Luggage from Terry Pratchett's Discworld franchise.
- In Shipwrecked DLC, Chester can not cross the Ocean and will despawn when the player enters a different island. Although the Eye Bone is still open, Chester will never respawn and items stored inside will be lost. [Verification Needed]