Hound Mounds are naturally spawning objects formed in both Sandbox Mode and Adventure Mode, though it's more likely to be found in the latter. They house up to 3 Hounds which spawn in 5 second intervals until the mound is empty. they're usually found in either the Rockyland or Forest biomes. Hounds that are killed will gradually regenerate at a rate of 1 every 30 seconds.
As stated by Maxwell, the mound itself acts as an entrance to a tunnel leading to the subterranean Hound nest. Conceivably, destroying this entrance blocks the tunnel and traps the Hounds underground.
Usually a Hound Mound is surrounded by lots of Bones and other mounds; this makes the place dangerous as players may be killed easily by numerous Hounds in a short time.
When hit, all hounds that are housed in the mound, but have not yet spawned will spawn, with a chance for each of these to be a red hound (summer) or blue hound (winter). This chance begins at 0% on day 1, and gradually increases to a maximum of 50% on day 75.
Reign of GiantsEdit
The mounds now house between 2-3 hounds, and have a 20% chance to spawn a red hound instead of a regular hound in summer. When hit, the mound has the same behaviour as the base game, but will also spawn blue hounds in spring, and red hounds in autumn.
- Hounds spawned from Hound Mound will not continue to chase players if they are far away from the mound. Instead, they will bark for a moment and then return to the nest.
- Players should be careful when trying to lure a Deerclops or a Spider Queen to a Hound Mound, as the Hounds will likely kill the player before attacking the giants.
- In the Reign of Giants DLC, players can use Hound Mounds to farm Red or Blue variants of Hounds for their gems.
- Hound Mounds were added in the update, A Little Rain Must Fall.
- Hound Mounds will continue to spawn Hounds even if the player is playing on a world with Hounds set to the 'none' amount, as that only controls Hound waves. To avoid encountering Hounds from mounds, the mounds themselves have to be set to 'none'.