Hound Mounds are naturally spawning objects formed in both Sandbox Mode and Adventure Mode, though it's more likely to be found in the latter. It is a spawning place of Hounds. It's usually found in either a Rockyland or Forest.
As stated by Maxwell, the mound itself acts as an entrance to a tunnel leading to the subterranean Hound nest. Conceivably, destroying this entrance blocks the tunnel and traps the Hounds underground.
Usually a Hound Mound is surrounded by lots of Bones and other mounds; this makes the place dangerous as players may be killed easily by numerous Hounds in a short time.
Reign of GiantsEdit
In the Reign of Giants DLC, Hound Mounds can be found commonly in the Desert Biome, often in a cluster. An additional 2 Bone Shards will be dropped when destroyed. Mounds have a chance of spawning a Blue hound during Spring and Winter, or a Red Hound in Summer or Fall.
- Hounds spawned from Hound Mound will not continue to chase players if they are far away from the mound. Instead, they will bark for a moment and then return to the nest.
- Players should be careful if they try to lure a Deerclops or a Spider Queen to a Hound Mound, as they will most likely be killed by Hounds before their tactic works.
- In the Reign of Giants DLC, players can use Hound Mounds to farm Red or Blue variants of Hounds for their gems.
- Hound Mounds were added in the update, A Little Rain Must Fall.
- Hound Mounds will continue to spawn Hounds even if the player is playing on a world with Hounds set to the 'none' amount, as that only controls Hound waves. To avoid encountering Hounds from mounds, the mounds themselves have to be set to 'none'.