When worn, the player is able to see in the dark with a sort of negative filter. If the player wears the Moggles when there is light outside, their surroundings appear extremely bright. Unlike other light items, Moggles allow the player to see everything on the screen.
Moggles will last for one and a half days in total but can be recharged using Glow Berries, which will restore their durability by 33.25%, or Lesser Glow Berries, which will restore their durability by 6.25%.
Despite not being a light source in the conventional sense, wearing Moggles will protect players from Charlie.
- Moggles are the only portable means of acquiring 100% visibility at night or underground.
- Moggles can be particularly useful when dealing with Cave Spiders and Spitters.
- They are especially handy when exploring the Ruins.
- Moggles will be destroyed if they reach 0% so the player should make sure to un-equip or refuel them before this happens.
- If the Moggles are used while the Night Hands are trying to snuff out fires, they will disappear.
- Upon release, the recipe for Moggles was 2 Moleworms, 2 Electrical Doodads, and 4 Silk. It could be repaired with a Sewing Kit instead of needing to be refuelled.
- Hovering over objects that can be examined or standing under a shaft of light in Caves while using the Moggles will make the objects appear in black and white.
- The word "Moggles" is a portmanteau of the words "Mole" and "Goggles".
- Occasionally, the Moggles will not work underground. This can usually be fixed by exiting and re-entering the level they have ceased to function in.
- While equipping Moggles, the entire screen is considered illuminated by a light source. As a result, Spiders will panic while on screen. Night Sanity still decreases while wearing the Moggles.
- The game may crash when equipping Moggles found on the floor.