There are three types of Mushrooms; Red, Green, and Blue. They can be used as vegetables or filler in Crock Pot recipes, or given to a Pig to produce Manure. Each mushroom has different effects on Health, Hunger, and Sanity, therefore, a player needs to know the advantages and disadvantages of their effects and think hard before consuming them. However, when combined effectively, mushrooms are a very synergistic food.
Mushrooms can only be picked at certain times of the day:
Each Mushroom will re-grow after 10–20 hours of Rain. They can also be dug up at any time using a Shovel to obtain two mushrooms, but the mushroom spawn will be destroyed. Mushrooms do not grow during Winter.
Red Mushrooms Edit
Red Mushrooms are typically found in Grasslands or Forests and can only be picked during the day. Chopping down a Red Mushtree will also yield a Red Cap in addition to a Log. Red Mushrooms have the worst effects of all the mushrooms, both raw and cooked.
Red Mushrooms can be dropped on the ground to indirectly damage Mobs if they eat it.
Green Mushrooms Edit
Cooked Green Caps can be eaten to increase Sanity.
Blue Mushrooms Edit
Blue Mushrooms are typically found in Grasslands and Marshes and can only be picked at Night. Chopping down a Blue Mushtree will also yield a Blue Cap in addition to a Log.
Raw Blue Caps have the most positive effects of all the Mushrooms.
Downloadable Content Edit
In Reign of Giants, all three types of mushrooms can be found within the Deciduous Forest.
Don't Starve Together Edit
In Don't Starve Together, the Toadstool drops Mushrooms of each color when killed. Mushrooms can be crafted into Funcaps of all three colors, which players can wear on their heads. The Mushroom Planter can be used to grow Mushrooms of all types by planting Caps or Mushroom Spores on them.
- Blue Mushrooms are good for regenerating health when raw, or retaining sanity when cooked. Green Mushrooms are good for going insane when raw, or regaining sanity at minimum cost when cooked. Red Mushrooms are good for giving to Pigmen, luring Gobblers, and using as Crock Pot filler.
- Red Mushroom damaging Mobs that eat it is especially useful when dealing with Gobblers as 3 Red Mushrooms in a stack can kill one Gobbler, providing Drumsticks.
- In Dont Starve Together if a ghost player haunts a mushroom it is possible to change the type of mushroom that it is, for example from red to blue.
- Mushrooms were added in A Little Rain Must Fall update.
- Rings of Mushrooms can be found in some worlds. These resemble Fairy Rings that can be found in reality.
- Although they are considered vegetables in Don't Starve, mushrooms are body parts of fungi, and are technically not plants. However, they act more like vegetables than anything else during digestion.
- The red mushroom's appearance and toxicity is likely based on the Amanita, which include some of the most toxic fungi known.
- The raw Green Mushroom's insanity is likely based on real life Psychedelic Mushrooms.
- If a mushroom is picked as it sinks into the ground, the player will receive a mushroom but the hole the mushroom left would look like the mushroom is still there and sleeping. The player will still view the mushroom as if it were picked already.
- Sometimes Mushtrees will not transform back into normal mushrooms when the day starts.