A Pig Skin can be obtained by killing a Pig, Werepig, or Guardian Pig, or by deconstructing a Pig House with a Hammer or Deconstruction Staff or Pig Head with a Hammer. It is used to craft several items, such as the Football Helmet and Umbrella. Pig Skin is a "horrible" meat food item, which means that while the player refuses to eat it, Spiders and Pigs will see Pig Skin as food and will eat it if left on the ground. Additionally, it can be fed to Pigs to befriend them.
In the Shipwrecked DLC, Pig Skin can be obtained from Wildbores and Wildbore Heads, which replace Pigs and Pig Heads, respectively. Pig Skin can also be used to craft Spyglasses and Wildbore Houses. Snakes will eat Pig Skin left on the ground.
- A good way to obtain Pig Skin is to find Pig Heads and dismantle them with a Hammer to get 2 Pig Skin and 2 Twigs. They can be found in Marsh Biomes near Merm camps and around Touch Stones.
- A good way to obtain Pig Skin is to befriend a few Pigs, then take them to Beefalo during mating season.
- A more advanced variant is to feed a handful of Pigs some food each in order for them to follow you during the Day coinciding with a Full Moon. Wait through Dusk until Night near the Beefalo; it does not need to be Spring but if it is, then make sure you have a Beefalo Hat just in case and do not draw aggro with Pigs. At Night the pigs will all transform and attack their closest targets; if it's you then lead them to the Beefalo, if it's the Beefalo then be ready for free Meat and Pig Skins. Make sure to pick them up as quickly as possible as Werepigs, just like Pigs, Spiders and Hounds will eat dropped Meat and Pig Skins.
- Another method of getting Pig Skin is to force Pigs and Wildbores to transform into Werepigs.
- This way, the player is certain to get 1 Pig Skin, in addition to 2 Meats when they are killed.
- Gather 4 Monster Meat to feed to either pig variant and force it into a Werepig.
- Make sure to not feed any normal meats or edibles as you may no longer be able to feed them the 4 Monster Meat without having to wait for them to be hungry again.
- Monster Meat can be obtained with relative ease by killing Spiders or Hounds.
- The easiest but most counterproductive way would be to build a Hammer and destroy a Pig House or a Wildbore House.
- It drops half the amount of Pig Skin used in its construction.
- Keep in mind that Pigs and Wildbores can no longer spawn should one destroy their respective houses, and each house destroyed is one fewer Pig or Wildbore spawning in that area.