The main attraction to Ponds is the option to fish in them. Using a Fishing Rod, Fish (in surface Ponds) or Eels (in Ruins Ponds) can be caught at any time of day. All variations of Ponds contain 10 fishes/eels, and one fish/eel is spawned every 160 seconds if the current count is less than 10. Ponds will freeze in winter once the temperature is low enough, and when frozen, they won't spawn creatures. They also cannot be fished, though they can be walked over.
There are three types of Ponds: purple, green and blue. Purple Ponds appear in Marshes and spawn Mosquitoes at dusk and night. Green Ponds appear in Grasslands and Forests and spawn Frogs during the day. Blue Ponds are found in Ruins.
- Note: This is about a specific in-game object, for a list of plants in-game, see Plants.
Ponds spawn with 2-4 Plants along their banks, which can be examined separately. They cannot be picked, but they can be set on Fire to yield Ashes. The plants will grow back every Summer. Ponds found in the Ruins are surrounded by Cave Lichen fungii that resemble Lichen instead of the normal plants.
- When fishing, one should be wary of Frogs and Mosquitoes, as they are aggressive.
- When fishing in a Marsh, it should be noted that the Marsh is also the native habitat of Tentacles and Merms.
- One may fish in Frog Ponds unbothered at dusk when the Frogs return to the water, and in the spring and fall when it is warm enough to thaw the Pond but not warm enough for Frogs to spawn. One may fish in Mosquito Ponds unbothered during the day, since Mosquitoes only come out at dusk/night.
- Frog ponds will sometimes show up in a small cluster. Pig houses can be built near/inside this cluster (preferably walled off) and the frogs will kill any pigs that spawn during the day but will not eat the meat. With this setup, Pig Skin and Meat can be collected regularly at dusk/night.
- Frog Ponds and Mosquito Ponds were added in the A Little Rain Must Fall update, while the ones found in the Ruins were added in the The Stuff of Nightmares update.
- The Plants growing around ponds have no in-game use, save for being burned for emergency lighting and heat, and turning into Ashes.
- After burning the Plant or Algae, saving and reloading the game will cause these to reappear in the pond.