The Science Machine is the tier 1 Science station. It costs 1 Gold Nugget, 4 Logs, and 4 Rocks to craft, and is available from the start of the game. Like other crafting stations, standing near the Science Machine allows prototyping new recipes. Prototyping items for the first time will grant the player 15 Sanity. Once prototyped, items can be crafted without being near a Science Machine.
See also: Crafting
- When Wickerbottom is near a Science Machine, it acts as an Alchemy Engine, as she is already able to craft tier 1 science items, thus making the Science Machine serve as a tier 2 Science station.
- In the early Beta version of Don't Starve, the game used a "Research Points" system, instead of prototyping. When Wilson examines the Science Machine, he states that "It breaks down items into their scientific components", which is a leftover dialogue script from when the game used Research Points.
- The Science Machine appears at the top of the screen when the game "Autosaves".
- There appears to be rope turning the wheels on the machine, while no rope is needed to build it.
- The body of the Science Machine resembles the Companion Cube, or any of the Weighted Storage Cubes, from the Portal video game series.