Sealnado, also known as the Twister, is a Boss Monster introduced in the Shipwrecked DLC. It spawns during the Hurricane Season. It cannot be put to sleep with a Pan Flute and is immune to fire. Before its arrival, wind noises will be heard and the characters will quote about an incoming Giant. However, the wind noises can be hard to identify during Strong Winds, making the character quotes the only way to detect Sealnado's approach, therefore Characters that cannot speak are at a disadvantage. Defeating the boss in the Tornado form will drop Turbine Blades and reveal its Seal form.
If the player refuses to kill the Sealnado in its seal form, it will disappear once the player leaves the approximate vicinity of the seal. When it disappears, it will leave behind a Magic Seal. This choice allows obtaining the Magic Seal without having to face Krampus; however, the Meat reward will be unobtainable. As with any other Mob, the naughtiness only applies when the player directly makes the killing blow, therefore the seal can be killed with help of other Mobs (which may eat Meats), fire (which will cause cooked Meats to drop instead), or Poison (which will cause Meats to be stale) to avoid Krampus while still getting the Meat.
The Sealnado generally has two patterns, punch and twister. Initially, the Sealnado twister AoE attack can be done as one of the first couple attacks during encounter. Then after 3-6 Sealnado punches, Sealnado will do its twister attack, raising both its arms in the air. Sealnado will from time to time delay an attack by standing still, slowly moving randomly at a distance, or back away from the player. When it backs off, it'll come in for a stronger punch.
Sealnado will absorb nearby items continuously, however, it will drop a few when attacked.
On land, Sealnado will create a large twister AoE attack around its area. The twister sucks up the player, causes 250 damage, drains 33 sanity, and absorbs a couple of the player's items.
The basic strategy is to hit the Sealnado 2-3 times and dodge. When the Sealnado performs its twister attack, the player has less than 5 seconds to get away. A safe distance includes the Sealnado off of the screen plus slightly more.
After 2-3 player attacks, the Sealnado will motion one of its arm to land a punch. The player can tell the twister casting is finished when a thunder sound is heard from the distance or by viewing the outer edge of the screen, where the whirl twister will start disappearing.
Build a line of wall. You can protect yourself against the twister by hiding behind these walls. These walls can still protect you against the twister attack even if they are flattened.
Below is the number of hits it takes with each weapon to kill a Sealnado when playing with characters with a default damage modifier. The Weather Pain is not included due to the random nature of its projectile.
- The player can stand behind stationary objects when Sealnado starts the tornado and will not be sucked in or take damage. Stationary objects include flattened walls.
- The Sealnado attacks can remove equipped weapons but not armor.
- The player can ride a boat when Sealnado starts the tornado and will not be sucked in or take damage.
- Luring Sealnado near a few Dragoon Dens during daytime can easily kill it.
- Water Beefalo will mob and kill Sealnado, leaving the defenseless seal form which the player can then kill or spare.
- The Sealnado was introduced in the Wilbur Vs. The Volcano update.
- The Sealnado, along with Ancient Guardian, Spider Queen and (Palm) Treeguards are the only Boss Monsters in the singleplayer game that are not a mix of two living creatures.
- The name "Sealnado" is a portmanteau of the words "Seal" and "Tornado".
- The Sealnado may also be a reference to the movie Sharknado.
- The Sealnado shares several characteristics with Deerclops, such as spawning during Winter/Hurricane Season, being more dangerous than other bosses towards player structures, and sharing the same melee attack period, attack range, and damage towards a player.
- If the Sealnado absorbs and drops many meat food items in the water, eventually, massive amounts of Sea Hounds and Crocodogs will be summoned until the Sealnado is killed.
- If the Sealnado sucks up any items, including special items like the Fishbone, and then despawns when Hurricane season ends any items sucked up will be lost forever.
- If attempting to craft something while caught inside the Sealnado, the character will disappear and be unable to move or interact with their inventory or the environment.
- Sometimes when fighting the Sealnado, it will randomly lose interest in the player, and will not fight back even if the player continuously hits it.
- If the Sealnado begins its AoE attack in the exact moment it is killed, the player will be stuck floating in the air and unable to move. Reloading the game or getting attacked by Charlie fixes this issue.