See also: Other Set Pieces
Skeletons are the remains of other unknown adventurers who perished before the main character entered the world. They can occasionally be found in the wilderness, usually around Set Pieces, and often have random loot beside them.
When defeated, a Big Tentacle can drop one.
Skeletons are not to be confused with Bones.
In the Reign of Giants and Shipwrecked DLCs, Skeletons can be struck with a Hammer to produce 2 Bone Shards. When the player dies, an identical skeleton with a special character examination quote will be left in that location with the player's gear, implying that all set pieces are dead players. When examining their own skeleton, characters will say the following:
- The model of the Skeleton is the same model as the unimplemented character Wilton found in the Don't Starve files.
- There is a crispy variant of the skeleton found in the Dragonfly preset in Don't Starve Together. Those skeletons cannot be destroyed by the player.
- The word 'Boon' means 'Favour' and given that skeletons make up the majority of boons it is likely that it is a pun on the word 'Bones' too.
- There is a type of skeleton in Don't Starve Together that appears to have a Spear stuck in it, though when hammered, it does not drop a Spear.
- When examined by Maxwell he says "Ha, I remember that one!" hinting to the many people he trapped here before the player.