Snakes are hostile Mobs type found in the Shipwrecked DLC. They may drop Monster Meat, Snakeskin, or rarely, Snake Oil. There are two different types of Snakes, distinguished by the color of their skin.
Regular Snakes spawn from chopping down a Jungle Tree, or from Hacking or being in the proximity of Snake Den Viney Bushes. Snake infested Viney Bushes will make hissing sounds and periodically shake, allowing them to be distinguished from normal Viney Bushes. Snakes may hide in Berry Bushes as well. Spending Dubloons at the Slot Machine, or digging up a X Marks the Spot treasure chest with a Shovel has a chance to spawn three Snakes. Additionally, digging up a Sandy Pile has a chance to spawn a Snake.
Poison Snake Edit
Poison Snakes are a much more dangerous type of Snakes. If a Poison Snake is to land a hit on a player, they will be inflicted with Poison. Once a player is poisoned, they will continue to be so unless cured with Anti Venom or a Venom Gland. The player will lose roughly three hit points every 1.5 seconds. When killed, in addition to dropping Monster Meat, Snakeskin, and Snake Oil, they have a chance to drop a Venom Gland. Spending Dubloons at the Slot Machine has a chance to spawn two Poison Snakes.
Snakes are nocturnal creatures, and unless they are provoked by chopping down a Jungle Tree, or walking by or hacking a Viney Bush, they will not be active until Dusk and through Night. When the next day begins, the Snakes that spawned from a Viney Bush will return there. If any Snakes are attacked, all other Snakes in the vicinity will join in the battle to attack their aggressor. If the player runs far enough away, the Snakes will give up, and fall asleep until another creature or the player walks near. Snakes will actively pick fights with most creatures, hostile or not.
Fighting Strategy Edit
Below is the number of hits it takes with each weapon to kill a Snake or a Poison Snake when playing with characters with a default damage modifier. The Weather Pain is not included due to the random nature of its projectile.
- Both types of Snakes may be kited by dodging their attack and then attacking them 3 times which kills them before they can hit the player, as long as a weapon at least as strong as a Spear is used.
- Wearing a Seashell Suit will prevent player from getting poisoned.
- Snakes can be hit once before they attack and still miss their target. This is very useful for dealing with groups of Snakes.
- Snakes are very aggressive and attack most other Mobs, including Spiders. Placing a Spider Den near a Snake infested Viney Bush will allow farming Snakeskin and Venom Glands as well as occasional Silk and Spider Gland.
- Red Snakes resemble either Mud Snakes or Milk Snakes, while the Poison variant resembles Banded Krait Snakes or Mangrove Snakes, both of which are venomous.