Snakes are hostile Mobs found in the Shipwrecked DLC. They can spawn from hacking Viney Bushes, or by chopping down a Jungle Tree. One can hear hissing from a tree, or a shaking Viney Bush to tell that Snakes are present there. They may also hide in Berry Bushes.
Poison Snake Edit
Poison Snakes are hostile Mobs found in the Shipwrecked DLC. They are the much more dangerous type of Snakes. If a Poison Snake is to land a hit on a player, they will be inflicted with Poison. Once a player is poisoned, they will continue to be so unless cured with Anti Venom. The player will lose roughly three hit points every 1.5 seconds. When killed, in addition to dropping Monster Meat, Snakeskin, and Snake Oil, they have a chance to drop a Venom Gland, which can be used to craft Anti Venom.
Snakes are nocturnal creatures, and unless they were provoked by chopping down a Jungle Tree or walking by or hacking a Viney Bush, they will not be active until Dusk and through Night. When the next day begins, the Snakes that spawned from a Viney Bush will return there. If any Snakes are attacked, all other Snakes in the vicinity will join in the battle to attack their aggressor. If the player runs far enough away, the snakes will give up, and fall asleep until another creature or the player walks near. Snakes will actively pick fights with most creatures, hostile or not.
Normal snakes will sometimes try to eat meats and eggs, which are left on the ground. Poison snakes can smell meat, which is left on the ground from a far distance.
Fighting Strategy Edit
Below is the number of hits it takes with each weapon to kill a Snake or a Poison Snake when playing with characters with a default damage modifier. The Weather Pain is not included due to the random nature of its projectile.
- Both types of Snakes may be kited by dodging their attack and then attacking them 3 times which kills them before they can hit you. (Works with a machete and a spear.)
- Wearing a Seashell Suit will prevent player from getting poisoned.
- You can attack Snakes once before they attack and still dodge their attack. This is very useful for dealing with groups of Snakes.
- Snakes are very aggressive and attack most other Mobs, including Spiders. Placing a Spider Den near a Snake infested Viney Bush will allow farming Snakeskins and Venom Glands as well as occasional Silk and Spider Gland.
- Red snakes resemble either mud snakes (Farancia abacura) or milk snakes (Lampropeltis triangulum) while the Poison varieties resemble banded krait snakes (Bungarus fasciatus) or mangrove snakes (Boiga dendrophila), both of which are venomous.