The Star Caller’s Staff is a craftable Item found in the Ancient Tab. It requires 4 Nightmare Fuel, 2 Living Logs, 2 Yellow Gems, and a Broken Ancient Pseudoscience Station to craft. It also can randomly drop from an Ancient Pseudoscience Station when damaged with a Hammer, Gunpowder etc., and has a 25% chance to be found inside a Large Ornate Chest. Like all items from the Ancient Tab, Star Caller's Staves cannot be prototyped and Characters always need to be near an Ancient Pseudoscience Station to craft them again.
Since Yellow Gems are not renewable, only a limited number of Star Caller's Staves can be crafted in the base game.
Dwarf Star Edit
Reign of Giants Edit
In the Reign of Giants DLC, the Dwarf Star provides the highest amount of heat instead (more than a fully fueled Fire Pit) and standing near it for too long can cause Overheating, even in Winter. Players also have a 0.01% chance of finding Yellow Gems inside Tumbleweeds, thus making Star Caller's Staves renewable.
Don't Starve Together Edit
In Don't Starve Together, haunting a Star Caller's Staff may cast the spell, and haunting a Dwarf Star will extinguish it. In A New Reign, the staff can be transformed into the Moon Caller's Staff using a Moon Stone.
A single dwarf star will last 28 minutes (3.5 in-game days). With 20 uses, this means a single staff will yield a total of 70 days of dwarf stars. Thus, it can be used to completely replace Fire Pits so long as a supply of Yellow Gems is maintained and regular trips to The Ruins are carried out.
Additionally, Dragonfly drops Yellow Gems when killed, providing an additional source of Yellow Gems to craft Star Caller's Staves and guaranteeing them to be renewable, even if Tumbleweeds are disabled before World Generation.
- It's a good idea to equip a Construction Amulet when crafting this Staff, to save one Yellow Gem.
- The Star Caller's Staff can be used as an alternative to Campfires later in the game, for those who would rather not carry around Logs and Cut Grass.
- While the Staff cannot be used in the dark, it can still be used a few seconds before complete darkness settles in. When this happens the light emitted from the casting process will keep the Character safe from Charlie.
- As long as Characters stay close to the Dwarf Star, they can get a net bonus of 30, excluding outside factors, resulting in no Sanity cost from using the Staff.
- Willow's Sanity regeneration perk works with the Dwarf Star too resulting in 50 recovered.
- There is no limit to the amount of Dwarf Stars that players can summon at the same time and their Sanity boosts stack with each-other. This means that players can summon multiple Dwarf Stars at the same spot to boost their Character's Sanity quicker.