The Tent is a Survival structure that can be used to sleep through dusk and night, like an immobile Straw Roll or Fur Roll. It will restore 50 Sanity and 60 Health at the cost of 75 Hunger, and set the player's body temperature to maximum when used. It requires 6 Silk, 4 Twigs, 3 Rope to craft and an Alchemy Engine to prototype. The player is also immune to any damage while using the tent.
Tents can be used six times before disappearing. If the player destroys one with a Hammer, the number of resources returned is inversely proportional to number of times the player's used the Tent (the more times the Tent is used, the fewer resources it will drop when demolished).
In the Reign of Giants and Shipwrecked DLCs, the behavior changes so that if the sleeper's temperature is below 35, then it will be set to 35. It may be more useful in Winter, where freezing is the prominent threat and dusk and night are much longer. Sleeping also reduces Wetness by 30.
- The Tent is unusable by Wickerbottom due to her insomnia.
- Unequiping any items that lose durability while worn (e.g. Winter Hat, Miner Hat) before sleeping would save their durability.
- For hunger point efficiency, players should wait for their Hunger to be as low as possible, such as 26. If it is too low, your character will quip that they are too hungry to sleep.
- Since he gains more sanity than he loses during the night, it is wise not to sleep as Maxwell unless the player has abundant food resources or needs the health.
- This item can be combined with the Siesta Lean-to (in a RoG-enabled game) if the player wishes to skip a day and fill their sanity. But be warned, this is only viable for players with enough food.
- Meatballs are the most resource-friendly food item to have when using the Tent. On waking, eating this will gain back most of the hunger meter.
- A smoldering Tent can't be put out with the player's bare hands. It will instead result in the player sleeping and possibly a fire.
- The Tent's original use was to allow the player to change their character.
- Sometimes after a 100% torch is equipped before sleeping, after the character sleeps the torch will still have a durability of 20%, and it will not lose durability. Unequipping and equipping the torch again will fix the bug.
- Sleeping while taking damage from Freezing may cause the edges of your screen to be stuck red. This will persist until you re-launch your game or freeze yourself again and warm back up.
- Sometimes a tent may be used 7 times before disappearing.