The Thermal Stone is a Survival item in Don't Starve. It requires an Alchemy Engine to prototype, and costs 10 Stones, 1 Pickaxe, and 3 Flint to craft. Its purpose is to delay body temperature change, preventing the player from Freezing in the Winter and Overheating in the Summer.
A Thermal Stone absorbs heat from fire, regardless of whether it is on the ground, in a Chest, or in the player's inventory. The size of the fire affects the maximum charge the stone can attain. A Thermal Stone itself has 120 points of insulation. A range 5 Thermal Stone can emit enough light to ward off Charlie.
A Thermal Stone's temperature is between -20° to +90°. There are five states depend on the temperature differential between itself and environment.
- Freezing White : 30°+ lower than environment
- Blue : 30°-10° lower than environment
- Gray : 10° lower - 10° higher than environment
- Yellow : 10°-30° higher than environment
- Glowing Orange : 30°+ higher than environment
The Thermal Stone has its own temperature; even if it is Freezing White or Glowing Orange, it may not be fully charged. A Thermal Stone requires about 90 seconds to be fully charged.
In the Reign of Giants (RoG) and Shipwrecked (SW) DLCs, cold Thermal Stones can be used in the Summer or Dry Season to prevent Overheating. A Thermal Stone can be cooled by placing it next to an Endothermic Fire, in an Ice Box, or in Snow Chester. Thermal stones placed in Snow Chester will cool at half the rate that they would in an ice box.
In the DLCs, two previous behaviors are changed:
- While carried in any Backpack, including the Insulated Pack, Thermal Stones can still affect the player's temperature.
- Hot Thermal Stones no longer provide light.
Carrying multiple Thermal Stones may have benefit. Each stone will transfer their heat to the player. Carrying more than one Thermal Stone can overheat or freeze the player. In addition, in RoG and SW, Thermal Stones are hotter in Backpacks than when carried in inventory slots. Carrying more than one in a pack can overheat the player, even in winter.
In SW, Thermal Stones are an ingredient for the Ice Maker 3000.
Don't Starve Together Edit
In Don't Starve Together (DST), every time the Thermal Stone goes from Freezing White or Glowing Orange to Gray, the Thermal Stone loses 12.5% of its durability. It can, however, be repaired with a Sewing Kit, one use of which will fully repair it.
Carrying multiple Thermal Stones has no benefit in DST. The Thermal Stone emits a fixed temperature, based on temperature stage, to the character.
The Thermal Stone does not combine well with insulation clothing due to its mechanics in DST. A Thermal Stone is a good insulation item, comparable to a single Beefalo Hat.
Blue and gray Thermal Stones can be given to the Antlion to appease it, delaying its rage by 2.98 days. When offered white, yellow or orange Thermal Stones it will become enraged.
Thermal stones stored in Snow Chester will cool at the same rate as they would in an ice box.
- The crafting recipe allows even the most worn out Pickaxe to be used.
- In Winter, the Thermal Stone actually freezes the player at its coldest state, and during Summer hot Thermal Stones overheat the player. Chester, Packim Baggims or Hutch can be utilized to carry the cold/hot Thermal Stones, without affecting player temperature. Companions are immune to the effects of Freezing and Overheating.
- Having more than one Thermal Stone, one carried with the player, the other one kept charged (near a fire for warmth, or in an Ice Box for cold) allows quick switching, instead of waiting for a single one to charge.
- This item was added in the Doorway to Adventure update.
- The Thermal Stone was renamed from Heat Stone to best fit its functionality in the Reign of Giants DLC, since it can also be used to cool the player.
- In the final release of the DLC, Where there's a Wilson..., the Thermal Stone received a new, cleaner asset for when it is at minimum temperature. Also in this update, the minimum temperature for the Thermal Stone was set to 25 in the Summer, solving the previous issue where holding a frozen Thermal Stone would cause freezing damage in the Summer.
- A Thermal Stone can be used to dry off a player with as much efficiency as a fire. As long as wetness is going down, the player can stand next to a thermal stone of any color to dry off quickly. This can help while using an Endothermic Fire, as it does not dry the player like a regular Fire.
- In the console edition of DST, Thermal Stones sometimes may not heat up, even when placed next to a fire.
- In SW, placing a Thermal Stone in a Backpack can raise the player's temperature.[Verification Needed]