See also: Crop Seeds
Seeds are a Food item commonly left on the ground in Summer by Birds. While they can be eaten, Seeds are primarily used for Farming by planting them in a farm plot to grow crops. When planted, Seeds have a chance to grow into Corn, Carrot, Pumpkin, Eggplant, Pomegranate, Durian, Dragon Fruit, Watermelon (Reign of Giants and Shipwrecked only), or Sweet Potato (Shipwrecked only) (see Farming for further information). Birds, Tallbirds, Smallish Tallbirds, Smallbirds, and Pigs can eat Seeds and will pick Seeds up if they find them on the ground. Seeds can be used to bait Bird Traps.
When planted in a farm, Seeds have the following chances to grow in to each type of crop:
Toasted Seeds are made by cooking Seeds over a Campfire, Fire Pit or Star. Unlike their raw counterpart, they restore 1 point of Health and cannot be planted or fed to birds. They also spoil four times faster than uncooked seeds.
Reign of GiantsEdit
In the Reign of Giants, Seeds can be gained by destroying Tumbleweed. This means the player can acquire Seeds during Winter. Players can also farm Watermelons by planting them in a Farm or Improved Farm, like all the other crops.
Don't Starve Together Edit
|This method keeps seeds fresh. Single-player game only.|
|25% chance, otherwise nothing|
- If fed to a bird in a Birdcage, it will produce fresh Seeds, therefore allowing the player to keep Seeds for as long as they want without rotting.
- Pigs don't produce manure by eating Seeds.
- No seeds are dropped by birds in the Winter, but the occasional stale or even spoiled seed left over from last season may be found. Crows and Snowbirds will still eat the Seeds, essentially thinning their numbers.
- If the Seeds are dropped on the Walrus Camp (during Spring-Autumn), they will get stuck and prevent the player from picking them up.
- Birds still drop seeds in winter after the Home Sea Home Update.