–Winona, to Charlie
She is a factory worker (though also described as an engineer) who dislikes laziness and to a lesser degree, things from high society. She is Charlie's older sister and used to work for Voxola before the factory fire.
Special Power Edit
Winona starts with 3 Trusty Tapes in her inventory. She is able to take one free hit from Charlie per light source, meaning that she takes no damage or sanity loss from the first attack after entering darkness. As well as that, she only takes half as long (0.5 seconds) as other Characters (1 second) to craft items, being a skilled builder.
- Due to her Trusty Tape, she can effectively repair clothing items where there are no Hounds. This makes her a useful asset when Spelunking.
- When paired with a Webber, Winona can make her Tape extremely easily, so the fact that the Tape only has one use will not be a problem.
- The Tape is useful for surviving tougher seasons, as some clothing items used to delay Freezing/Overheating are not durable enough to survive an entire Winter/Summer season.
- Her building speed increase is useful when base building, for if all the items are crafted in one sitting, the amount of time saved is much larger.
- The crafting speed may also prove useful in emergency escape/dodging situations, eg. being chased by a group of Spiders, Shadow Splumonkeys or Nightmarebeaks. It's much easier to find the shorter time window to craft a new torch or weapon when dodging or in pursuit.
- Due to her special ability of having a free hit in the dark, she can go insane quite quickly in the dark if one wanted to farm Nightmare Fuel from Shadow Creatures.
- Winona's voice sounds similar to a PVC pipe instrument such as a tubulum.
- A hotfix in late March 2017 accidentally added her speech files into DST. After they were noticed and discussed on the forums, the files got removed in the next update.
- Winona's existence as an official playable character was announced on September 6th, 2017.
- She is the first character to be exclusive to DST.
- When struck by Lightning, Winona, like most other characters, is shown to have bones in her hair.
- Winona doesn't have an animation for dodging Charlie's attack as of now. This may change in later updates.
- She was first hinted at in the William Carter Puzzles in which Charlie mentioned having a sister in letters to Maxwell (no name was given).
- In the Metheus Puzzles, there was a small piece of writing that read 13/9/17, a hint at Winona's release date.
- She may be the silhouette briefly seen through the Ancient Gateway in the What Lies Beyond? clip. In addition, her name can be seen in Charlie's dress.
- In the forum post announcing her arrival, she is described as follows: "Armed with her indomitable spirit and trusty mending tape, Winona seems to have been plucked straight off the factory line and dropped into the world of Don’t Starve for something or someone’s unfathomable amusement. There may be more to her arrival than it appears, however, as more than a few eyes will be watching the next move of the newest survivor…"
- Several of her speech file quotes reveal that she used to be a coal miner, but didn't like the job. When she was released, her official quotes were changed slightly to omit what kind of miner she was.
- In addition, a few of her leaked speech file quotes directly referenced the Great Depression (such as Hoover Stew in the Crock Pot examination), but were changed to remove the more direct references in her official release.
- She may have found Charlie at least somewhat annoying, according to her quote for a live Mandrake ("This is exactly what having a little sister's like.").
- She appears to have heard of Maxwell (presumably from Charlie's letters to her) but has never met him in person before entering the Constant, given her quote for a Maxwell Statue ("So THIS is 'Maxy'.").
- Winona appears to have entered the Constant in search of Charlie or someone else, given her quote for the Ancient Gateway in the Gorge ("I might not be good at rescue missions.").
- In the Forge, she says that the Ancient Gateway is similar to the one she came through.
- Her speech file quote for a Bug Net ("Just like vacations at the cabin.") refers to the "family cabin up in BC" (likely British Columbia) mentioned by Charlie in her second letter to Maxwell in the William Carter Puzzles.
- Her quote for a Winter Hat suggests she might have lived in a tenement house ("Perfect for winters in the tenement house.").
- In her unused Adventure Mode quotes, Winona identifies the head of the Divining Rod as a Voxola radio. She also says of the Divining Rod that "[she's] probably one of the few left that knows how to use [it]." This indicates that she previously worked in the Voxola factory before it burned down.
- In regards to the Divining Rod Holder, she says "Just like in the bossman's workshop," possibly referring to the Voxola founder Robert Wagstaff.
- Her original speech file contained a different examination quote for the unlocked Divining Rod Holder: "Is... this how the bossman disappeared?" perhaps referring to Wagstaff's disappearance. The current quote for this state is "At least I assembled this right."
- She seems to be uncomfortable with fire, possibly due to the fate of the Voxola factory. This can be seen in her quote for another Winona as a firestarter ("Haven't we lost enough to fires?") and burnt Rainometer ("Must fire take everything I love?"), as well as Maxwell's quote for her as a firestarter ("You were the last one I expected to start fires.").
Cultural References Edit
- Her character design bears a strong resemblance to Rosie the Riveter, a cultural icon who represented women that worked in factories during World War II.
|Winona getting hurt.|
|Winona's ghost voice.|
|Winona's voice as she performs the /pose emote.|
|Winona sighing, as part of the /sleepy emote.|
|Winona yawning, as part of the /yawn emote.|
|Winona singing the Starver's Carol, as part of the /carol emote.|
|Wilson quotes ⋅ clothes • Willow quotes ⋅ clothes • Wolfgang quotes ⋅ clothes • Wendy quotes ⋅ clothes • WX-78 quotes ⋅ clothes • Wickerbottom quotes ⋅ clothes • Woodie quotes ⋅ clothes • Wes quotes ⋅ clothes • Maxwell quotes ⋅ clothes • Wigfrid quotes ⋅ clothes • Webber quotes ⋅ clothes • Walani quotes ⋅ clothes • Warly quotes ⋅ clothes • Wilbur quotes ⋅ clothes • Woodlegs quotes ⋅ clothes • Warbucks quotes ⋅ clothes • Wilba quotes ⋅ clothes • Winona quotes ⋅ clothes • Unimplemented|